UWC Mahindra College monthly newsletter


Sunday, August 28, 2011

Alumni Profile


Beth Wales Class of 2004
After graduating I continued the interest that I'd always had in Geography and environmental issues, but which had been deepened and developed at MUWCI through my course choices and Triveni activities, by studying a BSc in Environmental Policy at the London School of Economics. I continued at LSE straight after with a MSc in Human Geography (Research) not only because the job market was such at the time that I needed the extra qualification but because I felt, at the end of my degree, I had only just touched the surface of the environment / development discourse. 

Throughout the 4 years I spent at LSE I was heavily involved in numerous environmental, political and cultural societies such that I was awarded an Honourary Studentship at the end of my tenure by the Student Union. After finally graduating, I was determined to get some more real life experience and was accepted by Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) to become a capacity builder in the education sector in the northern Nigerian city of Kano. This was an amazing experience because as a VSO volunteer you live and work as though you are a local. Unfortunately my year-long placement was cut short due to a prolonged episode of malaria!

I am now working as a freelance researcher on a policy document for the Rio+20 climate change conference to be held next year and waiting to start a PhD at the University of Leeds on the potential for community based carbon sequestration schemes in dry land Africa whereby local communities can benefit from the commodification of natural resources in a way that allows them to live sustainably. MUWCI was fundamental in making the person I am, with the aspirations (and itchy feet) that I have. I wanted to save the world before attending and my MUWCI experience made it an even more  fundamental part of me. MUWCI will always be a part of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment