UWC Mahindra College monthly newsletter


Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Student profile

Wanyi China - Class of 2012

Wanyi is from Xuzhou, Jiangsu Province, China and started at UWC Mahindra College, India, in September 2010.

How did you find out about UWC and why did you apply? My high school headmaster recommended me to apply for UWC because he thought that I was really suitable for living in an international community. After I checked out the website, I found that what UWC mission says is just what I want to live my life like, "UWC makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future."
What were your first impressions upon arriving at UWC Mahindra College? Diverse! Truly diverse! We look different, talk differently and maybe think differently. But the beautiful thing is that after two years of living closely together I realize that we, as human beings, are very similar. The diversity of appearance and thoughts, or even conflicts sometimes, only improve our connections. We are bound with each other,

What do you enjoy most about life at UWC? The best part in UWC that I appreciate is that here, I can be myself and I get recognized as who I truly am. Here I found my academic interest not only in Math and Physics, but also Philosophy. I am also very passionate about not only volunteer work and youth leadership, but also, domestic political and social issues in China. People in this community are very supportive and I can talk about my interest and passions with them. I feel happy that I can grow into the person that I want to grow into.

What's been the hardest or most challenging part? The language part was most challenging for me since it connects to academic and social life here. In the beginning, I struggled with speaking good English and communicating with people. For example, in the Philosophy class, though sometimes I had ideas, I found it difficult to follow native speakers' English or felt shy to speak up. However, after a couple of months practice and support and encouragement from teachers and friends, I can express myself fairly well now. And I like the feeling when I can share my opinions with others.

What subjects are you taking? My Higher Level classes are Math, Physics, Philosophy and English A2. My Standard Level classes are Chinese A1 Self Taught and Spanish Ab Intio. I enjoy all my classes now because I am interested in all the subjects and I have great teachers. All my teachers not only provide us with the tools we need to handle the IB, but, more importantly, expand our knowledge very broadly.

What other activities are you involved in? These two years, I have been involved into all kinds of different activities, like yoga, Mother Teresa, Linking Group, Mulshipedia, math tutoring, physics tutoring, sitar and Chinese Cultural Club. I especially enjoy learning yoga and playing sitar helps me to understand more about Indian music.

What are your ambitions after you leave UWC?  I am going to continue my university education in the United States because the undergraduate education is very good there and as a UWC student, I can get some financial support from Shelby Davis, the sponsor of Davis Scholarship. Potentially I want to study in both Physics and Philosophy, but whatever I major in, I want to continue my UWC educational philosophy throughout my whole life. I would love to practice my passions and inspire people to bring light to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment